More often than not, most women find it hard to find clothes that fit their body type, including hiking pants for curvy figures. Baggy pants don’t quite cut it for hiking. Fortunately, from this list, you can find hiking pants that not only fit well, are comfy, and stretchy but also complement your adventure style.
The best hiking pants for curvy figures are lightweight, breathable, and quick-drying. They should be form-fitting but stretchy enough to allow you to move freely and have drawstrings or an elastic waist for more comfort. Prana Halle pants tick all these boxes.
In this article, you will discover why Prana Halle pants are the best hiking pants for a curvy figure. You will also learn about other top-rated hiking pants, whether yoga pants are suitable for hiking, and what to look out for when buying plus-size hiking pants.
The Ideal Hiking Pants for Curvy Figures
Curvy figures tend to have wide hips and require pants with more room around the thighs and bottom. Unfortunately, most women find that many of the available pants in their size are narrow, not stretchy, plus they tend to lean towards leaner figures. As such, they are either too baggy or can’t get past your hips.
Consequently, many curvy figures prefer buying hiking pants with a higher rise and drawstrings at the waistline in addition to looking for stretchy material. Such pants are usually more comfortable. Besides, they are much better than buying a bigger size.
So, how do you figure out what are the best hiking pants for your hour-glass figure? Some hikers reckon that it’s better to go for leggings than structured pants. That said, while shopping for fitting hiking pants might be an uphill task at times, the ideal pants should be:
- Stretchy and flexible
- Lightweight and breathable
- Moisture-wicking and quick-drying
- Comfortable and of high-quality
- Have drawstrings at the waist to enable you to cinch up extra room.
- Offer different length options – full-length, convertible, and roll-up for versatility in varied weather
Yoga Pants Are Great for Hiking Too
Many hikers have taken to hiking in yoga pants since they are lightweight, form-fitting, stretchy, super comfy, and breathable. Furthermore, most hiking pants tend to suit people with narrow hips and straight legs. However, not all body types fall in this category.
Nevertheless, yoga pants are only ideal for short hiking trips. If your trip takes more than two days, you’re better off using hiking pants since they are not durable enough to withstand the rough terrain.
Furthermore, most yoga pants contain a lot of cotton, which retains moisture when you sweat, leaving you cold, chaffed, and uncomfortable. They are also thin, ultralight, and tend to snag. If you don’t have hiking pants, hiking leggings are a better alternative since they fit well and are well-suited for use on the trail.
In general, the best hiking pants are high-quality, durable, soft, lightweight, and moisture-wicking. However, try and avoid pant material containing cotton blends. Go for breathable and quick-drying fabric instead.
Prana Yoga Pants
Prana Yoga pants are excellent for hiking since they are flexible enough to allow free movement and have the unique ability to suit every woman’s needs. They boast durable seams, special fabrics, and other technical specifications that make them well-suited for athletic performance.
The yoga pants have thick fabric around the waist. This provides you with ample support, flexibility, and comfort – like when bending, squatting, or stretching your legs as you jump over muddy patches. Made with Spandex or Lycra® elastane, the stretchy pants are durable enough to handle strenuous activities, including hiking.
- Stretchy and offer maximum support
- Made with durable, high-quality fabrics
- Retain their shape after usage and washing
- Made from lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking material
- Fit snugly over your hips and waist and provide a comfortable rise level
- Available as leggings or pants and also include plus sizes
- Unsuitable for cold and wet weather
- Only suitable for short hikes and easy trails
- May not withstand the rigors of trekking for many days
Best Plus Size Hiking Pants? What to Look For…
For starters, plus size (14/16 +) hiking pants are not the easiest to find. Most of the available sizes fit petite or average sizes. But what should you be looking for when buying plus size hiking pants to ensure that you get something fitting and comfortable?
To get the best plus size hiking pants, look for pants that are:
- Sturdy, stretchy, and light in weight
- Come with an adjustable waistband
- Provide high technical performance, a good fit, and look great too
- Full-length with zippered vents or mesh pockets to allow for increased airflow
- Made from quick-drying fabrics that wick moisture from your skin, such as synthetics and polyester
If you are still having difficulties getting your size, try including the terms “extended sizes” in your search. It will make it easier for you to get plus sizes.
Prana Halle Pants
Prana Halle Pants boast a classic straight-leg style and Stretch Zion performance fabric that allows you unrestricted movement as you hike. Designed to withstand harsh environments, the quick-drying pants are highly durable, wrinkle-resistant, and provide UPF 50+ sun protection.
These stain-resistant hiking pants are excellent in retaining their shape after days on the trails.
The stretch fabric is also quite durable and doesn’t tear under strain. Halle Pants’ strong build and high quality are good value for money since you get to use your pants for a long time.
Depending on the weather or terrain, you can wear your Halle Straight Pants as trousers or roll them up to resemble capris. With their mid-rise cut, soft fabric, and relaxed fit, they are comfortable enough to make you want to reach out for them every time you go hiking.
- Cross-functional pants with a relaxed fit
- Mid-rise, snug-fitting pants with an excellent fit
- Quick-dry, abrasion-resistant, with articulated knees
- Stretchy material with durable water repellent (DWR) finish
- Available in 3 different lengths – short 28″ (71.1 cm), regular 30″ (76.2 cm) and tall 34″ (86.3 cm) up to size 22
- The pockets are too small to be functional
- The pants are relatively thick hence might be uncomfortable during hot days
- A large pack’s hip belt might dig into the Halle Pant’s bulky waist, causing discomfort
North Face Aphrodite
North Face’s Women’s Plus Aphrodite 2.0 Motion Pants are durable, water-resistant, and provide you with four-way stretch mobility for all your hiking endeavors. The pants are available in a standard fit, tapered or straight leg, and plus sizes.
The ultra-comfortable herringbone fabric also features 5% Elastane along with FlashDry™, while the tapered leg and contoured seaming make the pants both comfortable and stylish. To allow for a perfect fit, the pants come with stretch drawcords both at the waistline and ankles.
With Aphrodite pants, you can pass through streams and overgrown fields with no fear since these ultra-durable, quick-drying pants can handle such terrain with ease.
- Offer UPF 50+ sun protection
- Breathable, fast-drying fabric
- Soft, stretchy, and extremely comfortable
- Lightweight, flexible, with strong, reinforced seams
- Deep, secure zippered pockets ideal for your phone or keys
- Not available in many colors
- Might not be ideal for rugged hikes since the material is thin
For curvy figures, finding good hiking pants remains a big challenge. However, now that you know what you need to look out for, with a little perseverance, you can find the best hiking pants for you.
From our list, the winning hiking pants are Prana Halle Pants due to their comfortable fit, on-trail performance, excellent mobility, and stylish slimming design. So go ahead and get yourself a pair or two of these fabulous pants for your next hiking adventure.
Up Next In Hiking Gear:
Erick is a freelance writer and outdoor enthusiast. Growing up in Nairobi Kenya and now calling Glasgow, United Kingdom home. Sipping on homemade spiced swahili tea and enjoying a good book is his idea of bliss.