The Toyota Tundra is one of the coolest trucks on the market. Because of this, a lot of people see it as a great camping truck. After all, it offers a lot of space.cIf you want the most convenient way to use your Toyota Tundra as a camping truck, then you are going to need to get your hands on a rooftop tent.
So, what is the best rooftop tent for a Toyota Tundra owner?
The best rooftop tent on the market for the Toyota Tundra is the Thule Tepui Autana. It is easy to install on your truck, and it offers a huge amount of space. It is ideal for smaller families on down to solo campers.
On this page, we are going to expand upon why the Thule Tepui Autana is the best rooftop tent on the market. We also want to give you a bit of information on what you should be thinking about when purchasing a rooftop tent.
Our Favorite Roof Tent For the Toyota Tundra
The Thule Tepui Autana is the best rooftop tent available for the Toyota Tundra. In fact, just about any product in the Tepui range should be good. They do make some of the best rooftop tents on the market, after all.
This tent is able to hold 3 people, although there is a 4-person option available. This means that it is going to be great for couples, solo campers, or maybe a small family with a younger child.
One of the highlights of this particular tent is the addition of an annex. It provides you with a bit of extra storage space for your camping accessories or for taking off your shoes.
The inside of the tent is going to be incredibly roomy. Even if you have the maximum number of people inside of the tent, you should still find it dead simple to move about.
This means it can be a great choice for those that move a lot in their sleep, or perhaps those with broader shoulders. The tent is tall enough that you are going to be able to sit up while you are using it too.
The rugged nature of this tent means that it is able to cope with heavy winds, rain, and even a little bit of snow. It is easily going to last you years of use. It really is that well built.
Do You Need To Buy Anything Extra To Install a Roof Top Tent On a Toyota Tundra?
No. You shouldn’t need to.
You will need to have roof bars on your Toyota Tundra, either on the roof of the vehicle or in the truck bed. However, that is it.
You will need a couple of people to lift the tent into place, but this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Once it is installed, it will only take one person to get the tent set up. So, it is going to be great for a solo camper.
How Do You Choose a Roof Top Tent For a Toyota Tundra?
There are a few things that you will likely need to think about when purchasing a rooftop tent for your Toyota Tundra.
- Space – Obviously, you want the most amount of space available in the tent. Do bear in mind that if a tent gives a number of people that it would fit, then this is going to be a tight squeeze. You may want to reduce the number by one e.g. a 3 berth tent is good for 2 people.
- Weight Limit – Weight limit isn’t really something that most people need to be concerned about. However, if you are planning on getting a few people up there, or perhaps storing things in your tent while it is being used, then you want a higher weight limit.
- Accessories & Spare Parts – We recommend that you only ever buy tents from reputable companies. This way it shouldn’t be too difficult to get spare parts for it e.g. new poles or a ladder. It will prevent you from needing to replace the tent if something goes wrong.
- Season – If you are camping during the winter months, then you will want a tent that is 4-season.
- Mattress – Mattress thickness is important. It will have an impact on how comfortable the inside of the tent is.
Should You Mount the Roof Top Tent In The Truck Bed Or On Your Roof?
With the Toyota Tundra, it is generally recommended that you mount it in the truck bed on a rail system. You can put it on the roof, but most people prefer the truck bed rails as it makes it a whole lot easier to get set up.
Yes. You will lose a small amount of space in the truck bed when you install it. However, the tent will be raised, which does mean that you have a decent amount of storage space underneath.
Do bear in mind that if you put the tent on the roof, then it is going to be a whole lot more difficult to fold it out when you want to camp. It is going to be a whole lot more difficult to climb into too.
The rooftop tent that we recommended on this page does work slightly better when it is on the roof. However, it isn’t 100% necessary. The tent annex should also be fine when it is farther back on your vehicle.
If you are looking for a rooftop tent for your Toyota Tundra, we recommend that you purchase the Thule Tepui Autana. It is one of the most popular rooftop tents among Toyota Tundra owners.
If that particular tent doesn’t catch your attention, then we recommend anything that you can find in the Tepui range. All of them offer real bang for your buck and will be worth every cent that you spend on them.
(featured image: ikamper.com)